The Family Pet Feline Vaccine Protocols for Healthy Pets
(Using American Association of Feline Practitioners, AAFP, Guidelines)
(Three vaccines are offered)
Prior to vaccinations, cats must be scheduled for an appointment with the doctor to determine when/if vaccines are due. Appointments will then be scheduled based on the DVM's recommendations.
*All vaccines used by The Family Pet are manufacturer guaranteed. Should there be any concern about them failing, the manufacturer will cover the testing and treatment if needed.*
- Kittens: Can be given as early as 6 weeks of age, then every 3-4 weeks until 16 weeks of age.
- Older than 4 months: 2 doses, 3 to 4 weeks apart
- Adult Booster: A single dose is given 1 year following the last dose of the initial series, then no more frequently than every 3 years.
- Kittens and Young Adults: Single does can be given as early as 12 weeks of age. This is good for one year reminder.
- Adults: A single does is given 1 year following the last dose of the initial series, then no more frequently than every 3 years.
FeLV (outdoor exposure):
FeLV testing is recommended prior to vaccinating for FeLV
- Kittens and Young Adults: Can be given an initial dose as early as 9 weeks of age; a second dose should be administered 3-4 weeks later.
- Adult Booster: When determined cat will be going outdoors and/or have sustained risk of exposure; a single dose is given every 2 years
EXCEPTIONS include healthy pets that the FeLV is due out of sequence with annual exam (as ordered by the doctor) and recently adopted cats that have incomplete history.
"I had my second visit to The Family Pet yesterday. I was again delighted with the great care and service I received. On my first visit both my cats were holy terrors. But the staff was calm, caring, and oh so patient."~Cathy S